Friday, July 31, 2015

Problem of the Day


This year I have decided to take a twist on my problem of the day activity.  Every period I give students their own problem of the day for when they walk into my classroom.  Student answer the problem that is either related to a prerequisite skill needed for the day's lesson, or it has to do with reviewing the problem from yesterday.  As students are turning them in, I am slowly making small groups based on right, wrong, or other (small mistakes).  I then can reteach in small groups as other students are working on iPads (ixl or khan).

Last year I noticed most students would be intrinsically motivated to get the problem of the day correct.  However, I noticed there were a few students in one period who didn't care so much about putting their best effort towards solving this problem.  I was able to talk with a few teachers about ways to help those students find a purpose for the problem each day, and we decided to start using the correct slips as a raffle ticket.  Every month I have decided to pull a ticket from my raffle bin for some type of reward.  One of the teachers I worked with made these little blue sheets of paper for our students to use for the problem, and I thought it added a nice tough for our raffle.  


So far students seem to be excited about it, but I will let you know exactly how this works out once we have a raffle.






No comments:

Post a Comment