Sunday, September 20, 2015

Mathlish(MATH & English) Days using Mathalicious

I am so happy to say, I have finally found a great website, mathalicious, where incorporating literacy and math has never been easier.  The subscription for the website is a little pricey for a teacher's liking, but so far I am so excited that I purchased it for my students.  The website is full of great lessons that incorporate real life scenarios and situations with common core standards.  It is so easy to search for the skill and find tons of great interactive lessons.  Most the lessons I have used with my students always start with some type of news clip or video that draws in the students' interest.  It then has students analyze and gather data in order to then apply what they know.



One of my favorite lessons that I've used deals with lunch trays in cafeterias.  Students investigate how lunch trays play a huge role in making sure that students receive a well balanced diet by designing certain compartments  with specific volumes.  For example the veggie and fruit compartments have similar volumes., while the dessert needs to have a smaller volume.  Students look at how schools have changed the look of their trays in order to "trick" students to eat healthier.  Students realize that some trays look like they are getting more dessert and less fruits and veggies, because the designer of the tray has increased or decreased the depth of these compartments.  They read about researchers and nutritionists who have experimented with trays to see if it changes students eating habits.  Students were able to compute and compare volumes in this activity, and then create their own lunch tray that they felt students would like by changing the depths of the compartments.  This meant that students not only needed to compute volume, but they also had to solve for a dimension when knowing the volume.



My students didn't even realize they were still "doing math."  They were so engaged in this lesson, and they truly were little problem solvers.

This is really just one of my Mathlish days, which are days that my students say mix math with english.  It just so happens that many of my students crave these days, and they were the ones who came up with the name Mathlish.  I would totally recommend purchasing this site. It gives you step by step interactive pages with videos  for you to use while students are using the handout.  I have my students save the handout in notability so there is no copying.  This way students can work on their iPads as I have the screen up. It is awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment