Sunday, September 27, 2015

Walk around with a Voice


This year my students are using iPads, and I am really trying to find great ways to use them in different ways.  One of the most recent activities I have used is called Walk Around with a Voice and it can be used for multiple activities.  I have used it three times this year already, and they students really love it.  

The first time I used it was for translating equations and expressions from words to numbers and symbols.  I posted sheets of paper around the room-each with a problem that needed to be rewritten mathematically.  Students had to move around the room to each station or problem at their own pace. They then took a picture of the problem, underlined and circled any key words that helped them translate, and then actually rewrote the equation or inequality.  

They were able to use notability with this activity as it allows them to write and record.  Each picture or problem was a page in their notability note. They then needed to choose 2 problems where they recorded themselves explaining and showing how they translated the problem.   On notability, students can record themselves talking while they are also recording themselves writing.  It is AWESOME!  


The first time I used this activity, students were a little shy with recording themselves explaining how to solve the problem.  The next time I used this activity, students had to explain how to solve five different problems, and they started to become more and more comfortable.  Speaking in math is huge, and this is such a great activity where students can practice explaining their thinking in words.  

I now use this activity at least once within a unit.  It really can be used for any objective.  I set it up as stations around the room for students to either work in pairs or just at their own pace.  It's amazing how determined they are to get through all the stations.  I love the fact that the students are walking around solving the problems also.  I post the answers for students to check once they complete the problem just for students to self monitor their learning.  This also helps me with seeing student reactions when they undo the answers.  That way, I can then support those students who seem to be struggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment