Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Vocabulary Wall (Technology-Popplet, and Concrete-Sticky Note Poster)

I usually have students at the start of each chapter make a google doc that includes vocabulary words, definition, example, and image.  This year my students actually stopped me in the middle of the lesson and claimed they wanted to try to do the same idea using the app Popplet.  I am all about student discovery and student voice, so I was up for the challenge.  It turned out great!

Students needed to first research the vocabulary terms using three different sources, and then they needed to write their own definitions.  These don't need to be perfect since it is beginning of chapter, and we always go back and edit as we learn the words.  After writing definitions, they then can either draw an example on their ipads or find an image to help them make a connection with the word.  Some of my students were unable to use a Popplet and needed a more organized google document that my coteacher created.  This was great because it was an example for them to start the year.

Students were able to do exactly the same type of activity, but it actually looked better and allowed my students to enjoy it more using Popplet.  I then have students keep this Poplet out on their iPads during class for them to refer to and edit.  They also update it as we go through the chapter with more words.  They will sometimes change the definitions of words, or they will add words that we may not have included in the beginning that we feel are important.  For instance the word substitution was not a word in our first chapter, but we found ourselves using it repeatedly, so we decided it was a word that needed to make the list.

I have a class that works better with the vocabulary words in smaller chunks within chapters and in a more organized google document format.  Therefore, my co-teacher came up with a great way to organize the vocab lists in my room.  She decided to create multiple lists to keep in the room on one of my cabinet doors.

 FYI, we started to use sticky note poster paper so that we can move the
lists around the room when we are done with the chapter.  In the picture you can see when we didn't use the paper, and it was annoying moving each strip around the room.  It was so much easier when we decided the best way was to use sticky paper on the cabinet.  :)

 We try to keep the most current words on the cabinet so that it is easy to refer to.  Here is the example that I have currently in my room.


During math talks, I am always referring to our vocabulary list so that students can use the words when they are speaking and explaining their thinking.





No comments:

Post a Comment