Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Literacy in Mathematics

functions This year our 7th graders have been working hard to see how math is in our everyday life.  We have been experimenting with the idea that math is not just one period in the day, but math is really connected to many different content areas.  In our every day life, we are always working with mathematics when we don't even notice it.  Fortunately, it was easy connecting functions with literacy this year when we read a scholastic issue.  The issue was all about scientists that were using underwater robots to  gather data on hydrothermal vents in the earth's crust.  Students were able to compare the relationship between water pressure and depth in the ocean with a function that they then graphed.  It was an awesome day in Ms. Stass' classroom, when the students finally realized how mathematics was more than just a subject in a school day.  


I've also been using a ton of info-graphs with my classes.  The Times magazine titled Answers is filled with a ton of great infographs!  I am obsessed right now.  I've used a few already, but I am constantly finding articles and trying different ways of relating it to what we are learning in class.  

Just recently in the Answers issue, there was an infograph that was all about adoption and showed adoption numbers increasing or decreasing over time from different countries into the United States.  We were learning adding and subtracting integers the week I found it, so I had the students use the infograph to come up with addition equations using negative and positive integers.  The kids not only found the articles really interesting, they were able to practice using negatives in real world application problems.  It was awesome!

I also used another infograph from the Answers issue of Time Magazine when I talked about fractions, percents, and decimals.  I constantly stress with my students what the whole is in problems.  This article was awesome because it gave my class the opportunity to have a math talk about what the whole is and what it meant in this scenario.  

Infographs are a great way to incorporate literacy in mathematics and the students are loving it!




No comments:

Post a Comment