Monday, October 13, 2014

Math Workshop

After 5 years of teaching middle school mathematics, I have observed students participating more when they are are working in math workshops, or working with more student centered activities.  The less I speak and the more they speak is really what drives their understanding of key concepts.

My math class is 46 minutes long, and I try to keep my main lesson down to 10-15 minutes in length.  After my lesson, I break students into our Math workshop centers. My math workshop is called M-A-T-H.  I post these letters around the room for students to know where they are going that day. 

M stands for meet with Ms. Stass.  Here I reteach the skill from the mini lesson or go more in depth depending on the group of children.

A stands for activities.  Here I have students play games that I have created or borrowed that are sometimes directly related to the skills in our main group lessons.  Sometimes they are just review games. In 7th grade operations with integers is always a skill that students need more and more practice with.  Therefore, I have a ton of games that allow students to practice their operations with integers.

T stands for technology.  I am a huge fan of ixl.com and Khan Academy.  I make playlists for each website, and give a deadline for students to master these skills by.  In the technology center, the students work at their own pace practicing and sometimes watching videos for support.

H stands for homework (independent work).  I never like sending students off without allowing them to practice the skills independently with my support near.  I usually will add problems to their homework knowing that I am using this as independent work in class.  I like them practicing at home, so I make sure they have just the right amount to get enough practice in class and some practice hours later at home.  In order to really master a skill, a student really needs a few days to show their expertise. 

I usually will meet with 2 groups a day when I am doing workshops.  However, I have been able to meet with all four groups in a day if my main lesson is super short.  If I am introducing something,  I make sure that I see my students who need my support most immediately after my main group lesson.  

Files to share:  I have a document that lists the group schedule with what each center is.  Leave your email in the comments, and I will email you what I have.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Can I please see a copy of your schedule? We are wanting to implement in our 7th grade classroom. :)
    Lindsey.davenport@hallco.org

    ReplyDelete